Experimenting

I attempted an emulsion lift on a Polaroid film for the first time a few days ago, and it proved difficult. I could not get the emulsion lift out of the water without it folding and ultimately getting damaged, so I left it in water for a few days ago let the water evaporate, making it and the drawing paper easier to remove. I settled on leaving some creases to create a ‘distressed’ effect, though the tearing and other damage was not intentional. Since I was expecting problems, and this was really an experiment, I chose a very poor quality print, very badly exposed, rather than risk losing a good print. Well, I’ve finally finished working on the result, including photographing it today and then doing some tweaks in Photoshop, and here it is. I can’t say that it has any real merit, but useful as an experiment. I may try again some time, but I need rot find a way to get the emulsion onto the drawing paper and lift it out of the water more easily and quickly, without all the creasing. As a secondary experiment I used not only Photoshop in processing the image, but also used some Nik software – in the past I have only ever used Silver Efex from the Nik suite.

About Mike Hessey

I'm a BOF (Boring Old Fellow) and MOS (Miserable Old Soul) whose main interests are photography, cycling, walking and computers. Regrettably recent problems with my legs, back and heart have reduced the cycling and walking.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.